The RequirementsTo be a good fit for this opportunity you will have:
- A bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field; a master's degree is preferred.
- Substantial experience in software engineering, including at least eight years of hands-on experience with application development in Java and J2EE
- Expertise in object-oriented design methodology.
- Familiarity with Spring, Hibernate, CXF Web Services, JMS and XML.
- Experience with J2EE (preferably Oracle WebLogic) application servers.
- Significant experience in:
- Designing and implementing SaaS solutions.
- Implementing reliable, high quality, high performing, complex, multi-tier distributed business applications and components.
- Experience leading software engineering teams building online business applications, preferably including both onshore and offshore resources.
- Experience using Agile development methodology.
- Knowledge of Enterprise Integration patterns.
- Working knowledge of relational databases (preferably Oracle), XML, HTTP/HTML and basic Linux system administration.
- Exceptional analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication abilities.
- Self-motivation and a commitment to corporate goals.
- Dedication to customer service in recognition of the demands of a SaaS environment in which service is job #1.
- A team player approach with a strong desire to collaborate.
- Be on-site to support business needs (by 8 AM Monday through Friday).
- Be on-call outside normal hours for urgent production issues.
- Participate in Release Plan activities during weekend maintenance windows.
The RoleReporting to the Director, Engineering, you will join an Engineering team that includes about 15, both here in Oakland and offshore. In addition to developing, you will provide guidance to this team regarding projects -- project planning, assigning work, etc. -- and also interact with the Integration and Technical Operations teams.
Your key responsibilities will include working collaboratively within the engineering team and with product, service delivery and sales teams to design, develop, implement and support innovative, high-quality SaaS solutions within an agile software engineering environment. The development cycle follows Agile methods in two-week iterations, and at any given time you can expect to be managing two complex projects. You also will provide production support as necessary.
To see an overview of our products, please visit InterAsset.com. We think you'll agree that they're pretty cool. Clicking on this link will open a new browser window, but be sure to come back to submit your resume!
Your specific activities will fall into three main areas. With regard to Engineering, you will:
- Collaborate on software requirements and suggest solutions to meet them.
- Design, develop and test software code that meets requirements using agreed standards and methods.
- Prepare documentation as needed to assist communication with the team and stakeholders.
- Review software artifacts produced by team members to ensure that the proposed implementation and tests yield reliable, high-quality, high-performing solutions.
- Ensure automated tests are delivered and executed with working software.
- Create and manage software release plans to be executed during weekend maintenance windows.
- Assess the tools and technologies in use by engineering and make recommendations to improve team or product performance.
- Provide hands-on project leadership to a small team of software engineers located both in California and offshore locations.
- Develop engineering plans for the implementation of software products and services using agile processes.
- Track activities, adjusting plans as required, and keeping management and stakeholders informed of progress and corrective measures if needed.
- Provide leadership in the use of agreed standards and processes, and ensure team adherence.
- Provide guidance and mentoring to the engineering team to promote high-performance.
- Organize and participate in daily project scrum meetings, including out-of-hours when necessary.
- Act as "Release Manager" for out-of-hours software release activities.
- Triaging and investigating reported production issues to ensure timely resolution to established service levels.
- Participating in an on-call rotation to provide out-of-hours support to respond to urgent production issues.
Why IASHigh visibility influence -- this is a go-to role in a dedicated SaaS company, and you will start making impactful decisions in short order, and continue to help shape the direction of the organization moving forward. You'll interact regularly with senior executives in just about all areas of the company, recommend product and process improvements and directly support our ongoing growth.
Strong team -- you'll find a highly collaborative team both in IT and across IAS, with lots of idea and knowledge sharing. The Engineering team is made of talented professionals, many of whom have been with IAS for a long time. Ours is a highly entrepreneurial environment and good ideas are welcome. You won't hear, "No, we can't change that because we've been doing it this way for 20 years."
Award-winning business model -- we know that's true, but don't just take our word for it! IAS has received industry recognition for leadership in a number of areas. A couple of our more recent awards:
- In April 2013 IAS was named a "Top 100 Logistics Provider" by Inbound Logistics magazine, based on our ability to empower supply chain excellence and bring value to customers.
- In February 2013 our CEO, Paul Crinks was named in the 2013 list of "Provider Pros to Know" published by Supply & Demand Chain Executive magazine. Paul was chosen for his thought leadership in the container shipping industry.
- In November 2012 IAS received the Green Supply Chain Award from Supply & Demand Chain Executive magazine, recognizing the fact that our solutions and services assist our customers in achieving measurable sustainability goals.
- 88 countries
- 900+ cities
- 5,000+ connections
- 24,000+ users
- 60M+ transactions annually
Excellent compensation -- in addition to a competitive salary and bonus incentive program, we offer a very competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, and LTD for you and your family. We also offer a generous vacation and sick-leave policy.
Keys to SuccessTo excel in this role you will be proactive about establishing yourself as a subject matter expert, and leverage that expertise along with interpersonal skills to lead via influence rather than authority. While you will help shape strategy and the big picture, you also will need to be grounded in the tactical, paying close attention to the details. You will have support, but we'll also look to you to be resourceful in getting the information you need independently -- when it comes to execution, you will be the guru whom others seek out.
Our environment is fluid, changes rapidly and has lots of moving parts, so you'll need high energy, flexibility and the ability to manage multiple activities and competing priorities. In addition, you will need to stay abreast of industry trends and emerging technologies and best practices, and keep a continuous eye out for opportunities to improve processes and products. You'll also need to help maintain and nurture the collaborative and open environment we've created.
About IASIAS helps intermodal operators increase profits on every equipment transaction.
International Asset Systems (IAS) is a privately held and growing leader in providing information services (SaaS) to the global transportation supply chain, with headquarters in Oakland, CA and offices worldwide. Our well-funded, progressive strategy of partner-based business growth is rapidly gaining momentum. We help ocean carriers, importers, exporters, railroads, ports, logistics providers and trucking companies lower their operating costs, achieve in-transit visibility and gain the most from every mile of transport while our world benefits from our environmental "green" effect.
IAS provides greater visibility, control, and optimization of assets through a collaborative platform uniting the global trade, transportation, and logistics industry. IAS solutions, quickly implemented and immediately beneficial, can be operated as standalone web-native applications or integrated into existing transportation management systems. The IAS solution portfolio and InterAsset platform create a more valuable network by converting the entire community's input into actionable information, enabling clients to interact seamlessly, optimizing the inland intermodal process, and lowering the cost of routine business transactions.
IAS has developed its reputation as an industry leader by providing personal service and support to a global community of connected clients and their intermodal partners. IAS is committed to keeping our customers' businesses running smoothly with a 99.9% uptime service level agreement, one of the transportation industry's highest system availability guarantees. To ensure our customers' confidence and peace of mind, IAS offers comprehensive 24/7/365 local language support and a rewarding user experience.